New host is up at http://mistwolves.guildlaunch.com/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New host is up at http://mistwolves.guildlaunch.com/

www.mistwolves.com will be redirected to http://mistwolves.guildlaunch.com/ ASAP

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

previous games?

Go down 
+17
Alwolf
Fivegut
Maderasyn
Ivorie
Qualityjoe
Uglybob
Shere
Seaphas
cymric
Daevas
Asradin
Mittens
Tanluas
Kelemvor
Admin
Ichabod
norco
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
norco

norco

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-05-31

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime4th June 2008, 5:00 pm

hey, just wondering what kinda games people were playing before conan.

i played all the little cheap shitty rpg games when i was a youngen then got world of warcraft played that for a yr and half had to many epiced out 70's so i quit and played battlefield 2 and call of duty 4
Back to top Go down
Ichabod

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-06-01

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime4th June 2008, 10:47 pm

I started playing MMO's in 1997 with Ultima Online (UO). I played for a year or so and then got involved with www.stratics.com (mmo website). A few years of news reporting and similar tasks I started as a counselor in the game. Ended up being a companion, after the counselor system was removed.

My "job" at stratics continued and I was given the opportunity to beta most all MMO's as they came out. So you name the MMO and I've played it. I most recently was playing WoW and raiding 2-3 nights a week. Our guild was through Sunwell, as well as Black Temple. (end game raiding) Quite a few of us quit or moved on as the whole logging in and farming an instance to get a chance at a piece of loot dropping got really old. There's a few of us playing AoC, a few playing other games but we are ALL waiting for Warhammer. Razz

I also dabble around on my xbox 360, playing Call of Duty 4, GTA IV and Fable 2 when it comes out later this year. Razz
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-05-27

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime5th June 2008, 12:36 am

Hmm lets see started out my gaming career as a bright eyed 14 year old who went to the library and was trying to figure out why everyone was playing this table top game called AD&D.

Later in my gaming career I progressed to Muds (text versions of MMO's). Later we went from playing them to making one and had a Diku Mud for 2 years or so before we realized that gamers are a demanding bunch and we couldnt get time off for a break.

When someone first mentioned to us that we could play a MMO with graphics and that it would cost us 15$ a month, Az and I looked at them and thought they were crazy. PAY FOR AN MMO??? Anyway after the stint with Muds we found ourselve dipping our toes in the water of Everquest 1. I remember being blown away by the blocky characters and wow you can see the buildings, and the monsters, and your character will cast spells, and it got colors....drool soon followed.

After playing EQ1 from the Kunark expansion all the way to 2 or 3 expansions past Planes of Power. I also did a brief stint in DaoC. Then I heard the tinkling voices about Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft. After looking at information on both games (they were still in beta) I decided to put my bid in as a Beta Tester for Everquest2. WoW is not a bad game, I am just a graphics whore and liked EQ2's better.

I continued to play Everquest 2 through 2 accidently deleted toons, a tank that got its skills messed up, bugged quests, and losses of untold amounts of plat. Im a glutten for abuse. Then I found out Age of Conan was going to come out and since EQ2 was abusing me I jumped into AoC's forums but did not get a beta invite.

So while waiting for AoC I have been looking around. During the last year or two I have looked and played WOW, COH, COV, Vanguard (cried on that one), Horizons (almost killed the billing staff on that), Guild Wars, and almost every other game that MMORPG.COM had listed in their top 20 MMO's.

Well thats it so far. Only time will tell for the future.

Oh I also own a WII and a PS2. I thought about PS3 and an Xbox but ugh their spendy and I just spent a ton of money on my monster computer.
Back to top Go down
https://mistwolves.rpg-board.net
Kelemvor

Kelemvor

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-28

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime5th June 2008, 3:59 am

I played Pen & Paper RPS's & tabletop games when I was younger (My faves are Still Shadowrun 2nd, Necromunda & my absolute favourite D&D - Darksun Campaign World).

I discovered MUD's in the mid 90's but never really got into them that much. Played mostly Quake 1 & 2, halflife & most importantly counterstrike through the 90's but kinda game up on playing CS online cos modem sucked & despite your skill you got raped by LPB's (Low Ping Bastards).

Now Because modem Sucked so bad for twitch gaming I moved to Ultima Online, I thought UO was very cool & to this day some of the systems they had still crap all over other MMO's IMHO particularly how skill gain worked where if you used a skill more you made gains in it. So I played UO for 2-3 years in between D&D CRPG's (Baldurs gate & icewind dale series mainly). I was 2nd officer in a high level UO guild but guild politics & just general boredowm with the game eventually drove me away.

Dabled with Vampire The masquerade Redemption Online, much was promised but never delivered upon. A shame because the game was very cool & in multiplayer they had all the White Wolf Vampire clans represented, plus you could play as humans, ghouls or wherewolves. And You could commit Diablerie (SP?) which is the act of draining dry an older vampire to absorb their accumulate knowledge & powers.

Unable to get ADSL I went back to struggling in FPS games with my crappy ping, I then discovered NWN had quite a good online component with persistant World's here in AU so I got into that for a few years playing over 56k modem.

Finally when I got Broadband I started playing BF2 & NWN then switched NWN for WoW, while waiting for NWN2 to come out. When NWN2 did finally come out I was quite diaapointed with it, made some efforts to build our own persistant world but Ultimately was too short of time.

Started Playing DDO & Quake Wars. Got to relive some of my Childhood when an Aussie company Re-released an updated version of the old basic wargame Crossbows & Catapults in 2007 Smile

Got Lured away from DDO into AoC Early Access, now here I sit at work looking like the living dead having been getting only about 4 hours of sleep every night since Early Access Launch.......

I own an oldschool Xbox but i mainly use it as a media center nowdays.
Back to top Go down
Tanluas

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-06-04

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime5th June 2008, 5:07 am

Heya All,

Started for me back when I was 10 and I played Dungeons and Dragons (Basic,Advanded,Expert boxed sets) and then moved quicking onto Advanced D&D (with all the handbooks etc.) From there I pretty much played any new RPG that came out and someone wanted to play.

In the meantime, I found a really like strategy boardgames (not just war games but things like Talisman, Axis&Allies, Diplomacy, Titan etc.), and then the group I played with found a game called Battletech which we played to death so much so we ended up being some of the top players in the country (with a nice rivalry between a Sydney based team).

Then one day at a Gaming Convention, there was a demonstration of a little card game called Magic the Gathering. Soon that became the game that consumed my group for the next ten or so years.

Anyway as time marches on and you start to work the computer became a more and more convenient way to gaming (relaxing for me). I had always played the RPG games on the computer from the days of the Commadore 64 and Pools of Radiance, Might and Magic series, Ultima series and Bard Tales series to more recent titles like NWN1 and 2. My friends and I went from playing hotseat games to (as the internet developed) playing online games co-op (which is what I prefer - co-op).

As for my own MMO experience, I've played a short time in Ultimata Online but quickly changed for Everquest (the original Evercrack) and played that for a good 6 years (raiding in Planes of Power and Gates of Discord). I've also played Everquest 2, up to current expansions and raiding also there. During this time I've played for shorter stints CoH, CoV, AO, AC1, AC2, DDO, Vanguard, Horizons.

I currently play WoW doing end game guild raiding. When I find time I play normal single player games like Bioshock, Half-Life 2, Crysis, Civ, HoMM etc etc. I also have a PS1 and PS2 but generally it stays switched off due to me playing other games. Comes on when I need to beat something up (fighting games).

Tan

Strength and Honor
Back to top Go down
Mittens

Mittens

Number of posts : 60

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime5th June 2008, 5:37 am

Ive done the Commodore64 stint, DnD, Tabletop, Boardgames (love diplomacy BTW, but it brings out a vicious streak). PS2 and Xbox for various iterations of survival horror (i like zombies) and Ninja Gaiden (i like combos).
For MMOs I started with muds, hated them, left for years, did WoW but left it after 3 months to prove that i could, LOTRO which is good in terms of content, but is unsatisfying on a RPG level (since release, on and off), played POTBS which is such deeply flawed genius it makes me want to cry (it would be awesome, if only they changed everything and made it better) then DDO with Kel for a bit, which is awesome, but felt a bit suffocating after you realize there is 3 long-term viable builds, and all else is shit.
I was excited about WAR (love the IP), then AoC (love the blood), and i thought that i was sorted but talking to Ichabod (you bastard!Smile) has hit me with a dillema as im craving Warhammer again. Let the best MMO win, i suppose.
-mittens
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime5th June 2008, 5:40 am

OMG Mittens do you remember tape Hardrives. I was thinking COOL when my dad brought home our first computer with "WOW talk about advance technologies" Tape backups. It was so neato.
Back to top Go down
https://mistwolves.rpg-board.net
Kelemvor

Kelemvor

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime5th June 2008, 6:05 am

Hehe I had a Commodore 128 with tape drive, Cartridge connection & now 1 but 2 5.25 Floppy Drives.

2 FDD's made loading games like Turrican 2 & Pools of Radiance a lot better.

The tape Drive I got so I could try out all those cool Demo's that would come on those old C-64 Magazine cover tapes.

The C-64 had such a long life, I remember one of the last big games that came out on C-64 was "Streetfighter 2" and it came out about the same time as SF 2 came out on Megadrive.

Which is about when I got a Megadrive / Sega genesis so I could play Mortal Kombat & SF2 Smile

That aside the best games I ever played and still have the fondest memories of where the Last Ninja Trilogy of games...
Back to top Go down
Asradin

Number of posts : 4

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime5th June 2008, 5:57 pm

Hmm, I feel old and yet not so lonely.

I'll skip the Commodore 64 Ultima 2 days and get onto the UO days..

Started EQ (wasnt 1 when I played) in 97 I think, moved to daoc and swg eventually before staying with WOW for too long.

Marriage and my beautiful wife and daughter moved me away from end game raiding and so I went part time on Wow and now I'm here.

Short and sweet again, but covers the basics Smile

Cheers

As

PS: I think the reality in the boobs in this game meant I couldn't play a female toon like I usually do.... Well not as a main at least. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mittens

Mittens

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime6th June 2008, 9:06 am

TRS80-now there was a beast. I remember tape drives, but im crap with machines (as previously discussed) and so i was in a constant state of warfare with it. The advent of the big floppy (5 1/4th inch?) disks mark the start of me actually playing rather than fighting.
To jump to present day: anyone played the penny arcade adventures game in between AoC-ing? its fun Smile
-mittens
Back to top Go down
Kelemvor

Kelemvor

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime6th June 2008, 9:42 am

Ooh, Ooh I programmed on VIC 20's in high school for some reason...... despite the fact I had a 486 by that stage & it had a maths co-processor !!!!! and a whopping 4mb of Ram !!!

stupid highschool had VIC20's and those old mac's with black & white screens.

Still first videogam system I ever played was that coleco vision thing with the cartridges, it had the paddle controller with the numeric pad on it (same layout as modern push button phones if i recall) and the games came with those neat rubber insers that went over the top of the keypad to label each button for that particular game.

Man if my cousins hadnt lived like 4 hours away I woulda been glued to that thing......

It was pretty sweet.
Back to top Go down
Daevas

Daevas

Registration date : 2008-06-01

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime7th June 2008, 1:00 am

mainly mud's from 95 through to 2003 though played all the pc game releases (diablo 1&2, nwn, xcom, warcraft etc).
Got my teeth into EQ2 where i was guild/raid leader for several guilds. Mainly ran with a top raid guild on Najena for several years but gave it up cause the late nights (and wife) were killing me.
Played Two Worlds (crap) nvn2 and oblivion until starting WoW late last year. Had 2 lvl 70's in about 4 months and was soon over it.
Back to top Go down
cymric

cymric

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-06-03

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime7th June 2008, 3:13 pm

Sounds like most of us followed a very similar path. Started wit pen and paper D&D (which, if you've been following the new edition, is now for all purposes a pen and paper MMORPG - talk about full circle!). Dabbled in MUDs as well for awhile and even online message based (C$ERVE) games. Loved the ability to describe what you were doing and all, but hated the pace those games moved it.

Played the first MMORPGs; UO, Sierras the Realm, Meridien 59 (was a Bard (quasi GM) in that one), EQ, and so on. M59 was the first one to have a good deal of my time. Not a great game, but the folks I met were super and that went a long way. Eventually settled in to Asherons Call 2 which was a great game till the developers destroyed it and drove everyone away. SWG was next, another game that the developers misplayed. I have hopes that AoC will address the player economy better, as both had heavy player involvement in developing cities and so on.

Still playing WoW, guild of RL friends, part time - nothing really new to go earn there. Probably played most of the named MMO's out there at one time or another with varying degrees of enjoyment. Liking AoC so far -- mostly as it's different -- and plan on at least seeing endgame here.

Cym
Back to top Go down
norco

norco

Number of posts : 68

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime7th June 2008, 3:37 pm

lol duke nukem is the oldest game i can think of, sucks to be uses Razz not having decent comps til ur all grown up.. by time im all grown up games will be so good
Back to top Go down
Seaphas

Seaphas

Number of posts : 9

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime7th June 2008, 10:04 pm

Started playing games on a Tandy 80 when they were new. Then a PB 386 16sx I believe then started building my own boxes to get features I wanted. Started with dos flight sims Gunship to Diablo Doom and finally to Everquest. Everquest was the 1st online game for me. Still Raid my lvl 80 Beastlord 3 nights a week and have a second account to 2 box. Been in EQ 6 years now. Wanted to beta play Conan but my then box wouldn't meet specs so made this one and started with the early expansion. I really like this game.
Back to top Go down
Shere

Shere

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime9th June 2008, 4:34 pm

Wow, talk about a blast from the past reading all the posts. When I tell my kids I have computer experience from before windows existed they look at me like I am a cave woman who was preserved in ice and thawed. When I talk of my gaming history I admit I was a D&D darling, a UO junkie and a DAOC whore. I have played many RPG's and I am pretty picky about what I like. DAOC has one of the best PVP systems I have played and unfortunately they have ruined the game for me by dumbing it down. Right now I am full time AoC.
Back to top Go down
Uglybob

Registration date : 2008-06-09

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime10th June 2008, 6:22 am

played a billion MMO's, either paid or beta.

Wasnt too keen on the warhammer beta though Razz

Liked DAoc, EQ2 and AoC.

played plenty pen and paper games and stuff too.
Back to top Go down
Asradin

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime12th June 2008, 5:30 pm

aww mittens, my first real job was debugging some spaghetti code Basic "GOTO" accounting system on a TRaSh-80 multi-user system... Please never talk about that again :p

and now to the frivilous and silly.. I couldnt help read the following ...

I was a D&D darling, a UO junkie and a DAOC whore

Darling, Junkie or Whore... Which did you prefer most Sphere?

For me I was probably a UO innocent, an EQ optimist and a WoW cynic...

As
Back to top Go down
Mittens

Mittens

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime13th June 2008, 6:53 am

Asradin: urk... sounds 'orrible.
An' Shere is a darling of junkie whores obviously! (or whore of darling junkies... not sure)
-mittens
Back to top Go down
Shere

Shere

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime14th June 2008, 6:00 pm

Well since DAOC got the most years from me I clearly prefered whore. geek
Back to top Go down
Qualityjoe

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-16

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime16th June 2008, 11:11 pm

Haha man I remember playing Silkworm on my mates Atari and Karate...something on another friends Cassette Tape type machine forget what kinda computer it was. Still have a 286 laying around at my parents house somewhere...best game that was on that was Wolfenstein. Grew up on Monkey Island, Full Throttle and Kings/Space Quests though ahh SCUMM how I love you so.
Back to top Go down
Ivorie

Ivorie

Registration date : 2008-06-14

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime17th June 2008, 5:24 pm

My.. loooong gaming history...

I recall at a very young age being entranced by the old text adventure game Colossal Cave and Zork. There was tape players and the Hobbit on a C64 there somewhere too...

D&D followed as it did for every nerd child of the 80s (2nd edition Forgotten Realms for me)

A bit of Vampire: the Masquearde in the early 90s between X-Files Episodes...

Muds.. a lot of time on muds, an LP MUD called 3 Kingdoms was my big one for a good 4 years and I eventually joined its wiz community and tried my hand at coding.

I'm a little unusual here.. I ignored EQ, UO and DAoC and stuck to the mudding, mainly because I hated the idea of monthly fees. It took WoW to change that, and so a new 4 year oddysey began..

On and off I tried some of the others, EQ2 had some nice ideas, LoTRO just failed to grab me, Vanguard.. yeah we don't talk about Vanguard.. and now Conan, which has actually done a damn good job of making me think WoW is dead to me.

So lets see how we go.. looking forward to playing this game a whole lot more Smile
Back to top Go down
Maderasyn

Maderasyn

Number of posts : 9

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime23rd June 2008, 4:55 pm

Considering I work in a video games store, I play very little games. The constant squealling of nerds coming in to beg "have you got age of connnaaannnn?!? is both amusing and annoying.

In terms of RPGs, the only one I played a hell of a lot of was diablo 2. Nearly 10 years old and still plays awesome Very Happy

I'm a big fan of survival horrors like Fatal Frame and Silent Hill. Basically any game where the developers have put a lot of effort into making the game scary without resorting to hordes and hordes of zombies gets my thumbs up. Half-Life 2 gets the thumbs up too for sheer scale of plot.

I've also been a big fan of adventure games like Syberia and the Runaway, although finding an adventure game that doesn't suck is very hard these days. More developers are concerned with making brain matter with more polygons rather than writing scenarios that 14 year olds on ritalin couldn't have thought of.
Back to top Go down
Fivegut

Number of posts : 21

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime23rd June 2008, 11:00 pm

Started gaming on a PC so old - or I was so young - I have no idea what to call it, or even what the games were. Suffice to say they were 2D, in 2 colours. When we got our next VGA enabled machine it was like the difference between a child's drawing and a slightly better child's drawing with more options in the crayon box, but it seemed like so much more.
The first games I really remember playing a lot are the old staples - Commander Keen, Duke Nukem (but none of this 3D trash, I'm talking the original baby) and an odd nintendo-PC title called 'Mario is Missing' (play as Luigi to track down stolen world artifacts and hence, save Mario).
But the game that captured my imagination, and stole my youth, was Civilization. I spent so much time playing this game as a pre-teen that my younger brother learned to read by identifying the tooltips as I was playing. As subsequent iterations in the series emerged I gobbled them up voraciously (including the fairly awful 'Call To Power' bastardizations).
It wasn't all Civ all the time though, I also played pretty much every Star Wars title ever released - Did anyone but me ever play 'Rebellion' ? I loved it but it seems to be fairly universally hated... too far ahead of its time I say.
WoW was the first MMO to capture my attention. Played and raided pretty much from release until just after BC when I just got really, really bored with it. Then it was back to Civ (IV) and waiting for AoC, and here we are.
Back to top Go down
http://laviedelamort.comicgenesis.com
Qualityjoe

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-16

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime23rd June 2008, 11:02 pm

Oh lord don't remind me of the epic Rebellion matches you and Steven had so much time spent on that haha.

Oh Mario is Missing I only just remembered you *sigh* haha all nostalgic now
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

previous games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: previous games?   previous games? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

previous games?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New host is up at http://mistwolves.guildlaunch.com/ :: Main :: General Chat-
Jump to: